Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Introduction

Facing History and Ourselves

            Facing History and Ourselves is becoming a more practiced and well-known course in schools across the country.  Designed to promote a vaster knowledge and appreciation of certain societal issues, the class will force students who are open to it to face themselves and the world around them.  The course will look at racism, prejudice, and bias through certain events including the Civil Rights Movement, World War II, and the Holocaust, and will give students the opportunity to recognize the wrongs of society in the past and make changes to the world in the present and future.  As a current junior attending Westborough High School, I was given the chance to take the course this year.  I had heard from older students who had previously taken it that it was a remarkable, life-changing class, and that I should most definitely take it sometime during my four years in high school.  Honestly, I did not know much about the class when first hearing about it, but I decided that I wanted to take the course after understanding about how much it really affected other people.  Growing up in a small town as a volleyball and tennis varsity athlete, everyone knows each other and everyone else’s business.  I admit that I can sometimes get caught up in the gossip that goes around the school, and it is hard for people not to make judgments about others and talk about them in a negative light.  I do not like how everyone gossips about and judges each other, but the fact that I realized that I do it also made me want to change that about myself.  I had hoped that through this course, it would help me to change the way that I see and act around others.

             

No comments:

Post a Comment